Friday, September 12, 2008

Car Writing


I have some favorite places to spot writing. One is on cars. Bumper stickers and other forms of writing on cars say so much about the people driving them--often presenting personal information ranging from political views, music interests, product likes and dislikes, etc. One kind of car writing I love to hate are the Calvin--from Calvin and Hobbes--peeing stickers . They are not as popular as they were, say 5-7 years ago, but for a while there--and maybe this was an Arizona thing--they were EVERYWHERE. They loved to pee-battle over what kind of car was better, what sports team deserved to be dry and which should be peed on. And then, in a kind of a self-righteous, still horribly tacky move, Calvin had stopped peeing and instead was worshiping under a cross or something like that. It's good to know that he took time off from his busy peeing schedule for the Lord. My link has a variety of types of the sticker in a choose-your-own-adventure kind of arrangement. Have fun!

Driving home from the library the other day, this car writing made me smile. As you can see, the car is a nice one--maybe because a previous car was wrecked in a nasty rear-ender? The man driving the car, slowly I might add, was a senior citizen. I can imagine him getting worked up enough over the issue to go to Walmart or somewhere and buy those sticker letters. And then, carefully deciding what he was going to write to persuade people to keep their distance (the all caps second phrase is especially persuasive, don't you think?) What do you think? Maybe he should have gone here. Effective? I sure as heck was tailgating when I took this photo with my phone:

What is it about writing on cars that intrigues us? I have a buddy who advertised his business on his car and no where else--crazy? I think not. There are trucks--IKEA is one company that comes to mind--that drive around all day in bigger cities with a big billboard on the back of the truck. That's all they do. All day. Which reminds me, I've been needing a new bedroom set.

-Jon

No comments: