Sunday, September 7, 2008

My name is Maggie Frederick, 18 years old and from Kennesaw, Ga. I have an older brother (Matt, 27) and an older sister (Jenn, 25). Sports have been a huge part of my life for the past 8 years. They first were introduced to me when the Paralympics came to Atlanta in 1996. I got to participate in the opening ceremonies and then I got the opportunity to try the sports out at a day camp and since then I was hooked. I play wheelchair basketball and track here at the University of Illinois. Because of sports I have had to chance to do so many things that others probably not get the chance to do in there life time. For example, two summers ago I got to compete in Ireland for track, I have traveled to almost every state in the United States to compete in basketball and track, I also get to Beijing in a week to watch the Paralympics. I am so excited because I get to go with my sister and I also get to watch some of my friends that live across the world compete. I hope that I will be there competing with my friends in the 2012 London, England Paralympics. 
Somethings that I like to do other than sports are hanging out with friends, meeting new people, and watching movies. I love to meet people from different places and learn about their culture. It is really interesting to me. Over the summer I competed in New Jersey and there were teams from all over the world. I got to hang out with the people from Team France and from Team Mexico. I also met some girls when I was in Ireland this summer from Czech Republic. 
As far as links go for this blog, if you would like to get a glimpse of the Paralympics your self you can check out:  Universal Sports
I look forward to this class this semester and getting to know everyone in the class.

No comments: